Thursday, December 07, 2006

about how people can launch a non-profit CAREER

Again, something I wrote last year (2005) when I was seeking to do good in the world and pass on my knowledge base. First, I realized I needed to record my knowledge! I never really did anything with the Twelve Tips site, because I got consulting work and then caught up in getting the job at NYRP. And after I left there, it just was too depressing to do anything helpful. Now, I can!

This is aimed especially at young people who really want to work in non-profits, and many tips are applicable to disenchanted entry-level private sector people, too. The tips are pretty general, and should really be separated into:

1) How to get your first non-profit job

2) How to turn your non-profit job into a career

And different guidance is needed for people in the private sector who are looking to start a second chapter in life. Certainly, they should follow the first four tips. Then talk to friends or colleagues who know people in the field(s) you particularly like and network your way into a job.

At any rate, here's what I wrote last year:

1. Find a cause you love and believe in passionately

2. Search the web for a non-profit in your local area that works on that cause

3. Volunteer to do anything for that group just to get experience

4. Do informational interviews with leaders at that and other non-profits (not just the CEO!) to find out how they got started

5. Look for an entry-level position in the classified section of the most prestigious paper in your region, at idealist.com and other web job search sites (craigslist, monster, Chronicle of Philanthropy)

6. Treat the non-profit as you would a for-profit - with respect! Dress up for the interview, do your homework, have some questions, be humble.

7. Do more than the job you're hired to do - happily.

8. Learn to anticipate what your boss wants/needs, and provide it!

9. Work with others - help them, ask for help.

10. Avoid office politics and intrigue - gossips are viewed as troublemakers.

11. Remember why you wanted to work in the field and rekindle your passion.

12. Network with others in the field, keep your ears and eyes open for jobs and causes that could be your next step along (even at your current place of employment).

Again, every one of these points can be elaborated on. Maybe that's my next task - to flesh it all out in a separate blog. Or a separate website. I have to get that website going...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home