Wednesday, January 30, 2008

about how guilt is useless

I was told a long time ago by a very wise woman that guilt is a useless emotion, because guilt is what you feel when you do what you want to do, instead of what someone else wants you to do.

So now I know that anytime I feel guilty about doing something, it's something I really want to do and someone else just doesn't like it or want me to do it. And I go ahead and do what I want to do. Otherwise, I could feel resentful that I've put my life on hold. Since I seek a life free of resentments, it's always better to for me to "keep the focus on myself" and follow my heart and instincts.

If the other person is really upset, that's something for them to experience. Detachment is the tool I use to allow me to witness their upset, be compassionate toward them as they work themselves up into feeing upset, and continue taking the actions that I need to take to live a content, fulfilled life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home