Monday, January 12, 2009

Appetite or hunger?

USA Today quotes Kelly Rhoads as saying "I've learned to differentiate hunger from appetite. Sometimes, when I think I'm hungry, I drink a glass of water or a non-caffeinated drink, and usually I stop feeling hungry." (http://www.usatoday.com)

I immediately thought about how I like the taste of some foods so much that I keep eating them long after I am full. I'm no longer feeding my hunger, I'm feeding my desire for pleasure and feeling good.

I think appetite is similar to that - there's this appetite to fill myself up, to feel good, to taste something yummy, to plunge into and remain in this wonderful sensory experience. I'm not hungry for food, I'm hungry for pleasure, for immediate gratification, for being out of all reality except taste bud reality, and possibly for hiding from feelings of pain or loneliness or anger or depression. So my appetite is for stuffing things down. It's not hunger.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home